Mike,

> > the only reason for this is that I like a fresh install, not someone
> > else's idea of a fresh install.
>
> Oh, I agree and understand that.  I must have misunderstood you then.  It
> sounded like you were going to install XP Home on the new PC, then install
> XP Pro on top of that.  If you only have an _Upgrade_ copy of XP Pro, then
> that makes sense.  But if you had the Full XP Pro, you might as well
> install that on the new PC and skip installing XP Home.  Do you have the
> full copy or an upgrade copy?

Upgrade, but I could use another windows CD to prove the upgrade
status, so that shouldn't matter - The only reason for installing home
first, was so that I wouldn't have two PCs using the same license - in
case one or the other had to get to the web, and the mother ship finds
out.

How much of a grace period does ms give you when they detect a
processor change?  is it immediate?

> >  I don't like the way new pcs are
> > 'branded' and I don't like all the "try this!" advertising and 60 day
> > trial versions of stuff they're paid to install on new PCs - I have
> > all the software I need or want and I won't be trying anything that
> > might come with it.
>
> I'm the same way.  That's part of the reason I just put together my own
> PC's.  Don't have to worry about the extra crap I don't need.  Anytime I
> have to fix a friends computer, one of the things I do is remove all the
> extra junk.

every friday night many of my friends gravitate to a buddy of mine's
house.  just sort of a standing friday night party.  There's also a
standing offer that if you're having PC problems, bring it over to his
house on a friday night, and he and I will 'fix' it over beers.

Since everyone who knows me knows "i'm in computers", they think that
means I'm a PC tech, and can come over and help them with their
problems.  I've gotten to the point where I always say no.  unless
they bring it by his house on a friday night.

between the two of us, we can usually fix it.   and I tell them to
bring the beer.

;)

> > sounds like a plan.  except, I would be telling them I downgraded the
> > old one, right?
>
> If you want to do Pro/Home in the same phone call, yes.  Here is some more
> information about activation if it will help:
> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article03-200

Thanks Mike,