On 10/11/05, Bob Cagle <bcagle@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I need to purchase a new backup solution for my network. I currently
> have a 20/40 GB 4 mm tape backup drive on my Dell server running Server
> 2003 SP1 and Exchange 2003. I use Backup Exec 10 for the backup
> software. My backups just started going to a 2nd tape about 2 weeks
> ago; I am now backing up about 32 GB every day and growing by about 1 GB
> per month. Obviously the compression isn't as good as it could be as
> I'm only getting about 28.5GB on the first tape.

Try messing with the compression settings on Backup Exec, you may get a few
month reprieve while you sort this out.

I have been recommended to acquire an 800/1.6TB VXA2 10-tape auto-loader
> from Exabyte for $2100+. Sounds great but that seems way overkill for
> my small network.

Agreed, unless you really like the convenience of not having to swap tapes
very often. If you have a two week rotation then you never do!

This same person also recommended that I purchase Acronis True Image
> Server for $700.
>
> #1 Does anyone have any other recommendations on tape backup solutions?
> Any opinions/facts for or against the VXA packet technology?

No opinion.

#2 Has anyone used the Acronis software? Is it worth it? Why would I
> need it if I already have Backup Exec?

This would replace Backup Exec. I checked on their website, it looks very
interesting. I imagine that the person who gave you this recommendation
really likes it.

Jeff at Dilgard proposed an interesting solution (backups to external USB
drives), although that doesn't address the rotation or off-site issues. But
it is also possible to send the BACKUPS to tape from the USB drives during
the day. There are a TON of solutions if you are interested in disk-to-disk.

Take care..

--
Tom Jedrzejewicz
tomjedrz@xxxxxxxxx