On 6/24/05, Jeff Crosby <jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > No WINS (!) .. DNS fills all of the functions.  BTW, if I
> > remember from previous posts you use DHCP and DNS on the
> > iSeries.  I would put them onto Windows, on one (or both) of
> > the domain controllers.
>
> Correct.  Why would you put it onto Windows?  Easier to administer?  How
> about putting it on an IXS card?

Several reasons.  One is that it is a "traditional" architecture ..
put DNS on both of the DCs and DHCP on one of them .. and so will be
familiar to whoever will follow you in the role.  Another is that
Windows DNS works better with Windows clients for the "WINS/Netbios"
things like addressing by computer name and mapping drives.  And a
third is that it is far more familiar to network admins.  If you win
the lottery and quit, the chances of your replacement knowing how to
deal with DNS and DHCP on the iSeries are virtually zero.

As an aside ... we have had great results since we switched DHCP from
NetWare to Windows.  You don't have to mess around with reserving
addresses for servers and printers; Windows DHCP checks before
assigning!

If you put Win2003 on the IXS, there is no reason I know of why it
can't do DNS (and DHCP).

Walden's comment brought me a revelation .. you could make those Win98
machines into redundant DC's!