Win2003 allows some pretty amazing stuff with respect to desktop
security and management through the Group Policy.  However, I strongly
suggest that you get some help in the implementation from an expert.

My answers to the questions ...

> 1) Does the software deployment and security stuff work as well as
> advertised?

Security .. absolutely .. if you know what you are doing?
Software deployment .. not sure, haven't gotten there.

> 2) How much of a pain was it going from workgroups to a domain?

Don't know.  Went from NetWare to Win2000 at last job, in the process
of going NetWare to Win2003.

> 3) W98 and NT cannot participate.  If we still have 4 W98 and 1 NT 4.0, what
> does that do to us?  Do we still need a WINS?

Don't waste the time with W98 and NT, unless you can absolutely avoid
it.  If you can find the $ to buy 5 PC's, do it.  If the W98 and NT
have to remain, isolate them.  I think that NT can join the domain.

No WINS (!) .. DNS fills all of the functions.  BTW, if I remember
from previous posts you use DHCP and DNS on the iSeries.  I would put
them onto Windows, on one (or both) of the domain controllers.

> 4) Did you get outside help?

Yes.  Our primary reason for implementing AD was to get to Exchange
2003.  Currently AD and NetWare are coexisting, with NetWare doing
file and print.  We got help to get AD and  eDirectory talking, to
work out the procedure for the the workstations, to help design AD and
build the servers.  Note that we have a newly minted MCSE on staff and
he built the servers.  We brought in some help for the weekend
conversion as well.

> 5) How much outside training was required?

For the users, we did training on Outlook 2003.  You might want to do
some orientation because the signing on looks a bit diferent.

> 6) Was it worth it?

Totally.  We implemented AD so that we could do Exchange, and it has
been completely worth it.  We were on Novell GroupWise, and the change
has been dramatic.

> The whole shebang does not appear to be for the faint of heart, but anything
> to help admin cost is wonderful to me.

If you do it, don't skimp.  Get the two domain controllers, and spend
the time on setting up AD and planning the conversion.