From: Joe Pluta [mailto:joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 9:43 AM
To: 'PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users'
Subject: [PCTECH] Remote Connectivity

I'm looking for remote connectivity software.  The question has been
asked before, but I'm wondering if there has been any change in the
world lately.  Note: I'm looking for software to connect securely to my
LAN, and also I'm trying to find something that I can use as a remote
control.

The primary goal is to be able to use WDSC and Telnet over the
connection.  That seems to me to require just a VPN.  Once I've got a
full VPN connection to my home machine, I should be able to run WDSC,
Telnet, whatever I need, right?  The second thing, though, is to be able
to run some software that lives on my desktop.

So, on to the questions:

Question 1:  What is the easiest way to create a VPN tunnel to my home
machine?  At this time, my network servers primarily run W2K Pro, and my
traveling machine has XP Home.

Question 2: Then there's remote control.  The more I think about it, the
less I actually need it, but I still want to look into it.

First, has anybody tried using the Remote Desktop Connection that is
supplied with Windows XP Pro?  That in and of itself might be enough for
me to set up a small XP-Pro machine here, which I could also use for
learning .NET.  Anybody manage to use a client over the Internet?  Over
a slow connection?

There are a number of other packages out there that seem to allow remote
access.  One is TIghtVNC, another is UltraVNC.  Tons of others.  Any
recommendations?

Joe

--
This is the PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users (PcTech) mailing
http://archive.midrange.com/pctech.

This email is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only.  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then
disclose, copy or distribute this email without the author's prior permission.
We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software
viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment
to this message.  We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by
software viruses.  The information contained in this communication may be
confidential and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege. If you are
the intended recipient and you do not wish to receive similar electronic
messages from us in the future then please respond to the sender to this effect.