From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Walden H. Leverich
Sent: Monday, 14 March, 2005 14:41
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: RE: [PCTECH] Messaging to a Service

So if I understand you correctly, this would be a local user clicking on
a icon and running a local series of commands, with the problem being
that the local user doesn't have the rights they need. Before we go
overboard, let's ask the two simple questions, 1) can they be granted
the access the need? or 2) if they're on XP boxes would RunAs do what
you needed?

Assuming you need to write something, sockets are obviously the
"universal" interface, and aren't that hard to code to in .NET (you are
using .NET for new development, aren't you? <G>) But if you're looking
for something else, what about MSMQ, Microsoft's MQ technology. It
supports local queues, so you'd create a service (also easy in .NET) and
have that service create a queue (if it didn't already exist) then
simply sit on a Receive() call. Your "client" code would Send() a
message with the needed data to the queue and the service would wake up
and do it's thing then go back to a Receive() wait (sound familiar --
a'la data queues)

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President & CEO