From: Chuck Lewis [mailto:clewis@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 7:41 PM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: [PCTECH] Need some Help with Bandwidth problems...

Hi Folks,

Spent the day at one of our remote sites that is experiencing on and off
slow response time. Really "bursty". It is a frame relay circuit, 64K with
about 25 devices. 15 PC's, most running Windows 95 (I know - we acquired
this company and haven't upgraded/replaced them yet.) Then there are 2
Windows 98, 1 NT, 1 W2K Pro and 1 ME. Two IBM 4230 printers and then the
terminals. I can ping and get decent #'s for awhile and then it goes to
heck. I've run virus updates and scans and found nothing. This just started
happening about 3 weeks ago. So I am highly suspicious that there is
something (virus/malware) I am missing.

So the questions:

(1) Aren't Windows 95 PC's pretty "resistant" to most of the new viruses ?
These things don't have CD drives so I am having a hard time working with
them (among other things.).

(2) Does anyone know of a freeware tool to id what might be causing this by
IP address ?

Of course the next thing is to disconnect all PC's and see if things return
to normal but that is VERY disruptive because of customer interaction.

Thanks !

Chuck

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.