Two questions:

> For some reason Win2K will not offer the "Safe mode" menu unless
> it spots a problem during boot - no idea why.

As the system is booting up, are you continually pressing F8 to force the
Safe Mode menu?  I know safe mode comes up automatically after some chaotic
powerdowns, but you can (or, should be able to) force it to as well.

> ~WRF2693.tmp - it was one It thinks it is 150+Mb but I doubt that is real.

Just curious, is the size growing as time goes on?  This sounds like a
Microsoft Word temporary work file.  Maybe you should uninstall MS Word and
see if you can delete it then.  Whether you re-install it is up to you. <g>
(Interesting aside, I just found out today that we're going to outfit all of
our new PCs with Open Office instead of MS Office.  The only exceptions to
this are PCs for "power users" who use the advanced functions in Word or
Excel, which probably number less than 10 in the entire company.)

db