From: Mike Wills [mailto:koldark@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 9:31 AM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] CoolWebSearch browser hijacker - Part II (Windows
Update not working)

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 08:39:14 -0500, Dan Bale <dbale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Referring to last month's thread beginning at
> http://archive.midrange.com/pctech/200410/msg00122.html:
>
> CoolWebSearch is stealthier than I thought.  I've run CWShredder, SpyBot
> S&D, AdAware.  Several times.  It still manages to come back, although I
> have not witnessed the IE browser being hijacked.
>
> This may or may not be related to CWS, but I am unable to get Windows
Update
> to work.  I was able to get SP2 installed on this XP Home box (after first
> running all of the above "cleaners"), but Windows Update is still not
> working.  I followed instructions at M$ KB that caused a new version of
> Windows Update to be downloaded; it cranks for awhile, and I get "100%
> downloaded".  It cranks a little more, and I get "100% registered".  And
> then it just sits there.  I left it on overnight on the hope that it might
> do something, but no go.  Instead I get welcomed with a "low resources"
> warning.
>
> I'm ready to give up on this and tell the owner that he may just need to
do
> a scratch install.
>
> Advice / suggestions welcomed and appreciated.
> db

At this point, that might be a good idea. There might be more embedded
problems, that you can't see. If everything else comes up clean, you
are dealing with OS damage.

... on second thought, Windows XP has a repair option, but if SP2 is
intalled, that might lead to problems, unlese you are able to create
an XP SP2 full install disk. I have something on it here:
http://www.koldark.net/archives/2004/10/11/busy_night.php. It is quite
easy if you have a CD burner and some time. I think it took me 1 hour
to create this CD.

--
Mike Wills
Midrange Programmer/Lawson Administrator

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---