From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Antonio Fernandez-Vicenti
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2004 9:55 AM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: [PCTECH] Win2000 Symantec Fax Starter Edition problem

I've been using Win2000's "Fax" facility included as part of MS Outlook
2000 under the feature called "Symantec Fax Starter Edition", loaded as
"Internet Mail Only option under Outlook.
I've used it for some time without problems, but... suddenly it stopped
working:
When I "attach" a textfile.doc as part of the fax text, Word starts
"transforming document to Fax format" then I got a message "error '1120'
at runtime. Printer error".
1- Have not been able to find what 1120 error means.
2- Debug on error display led me to a WordBasic app. Module: WordTmpDDEMod1
with 4 lines: the error is on second line:
WordBasic.FileOpen & (my attached textfile.docs full path/name)
WordBasic.FilePrinterSetup "Symantec Fax Starter Edition on p",
                            DoNotSetAsSysDefault:=1
WordBasic.FilePrint 0
WordBasic.FileExit 2
(BTW, note the strange printer name ending with "on p" ?)

3- Reading in Word's /Tools/Macro/VisualBasic Editor, VBA
classes/Properties convert to equivalents VB ones, so
WordBasic.FilePrinterSetup converts to something like
ActivePrinter = "<printername> on <NetSharedPrinterName>"
           or = "<printername> on LPT1:"
(BTW, why does the last one end with a colon ":", but not the
NetSharedPrinterName?)

4- Printers in my PC do include a Fax printer, created by Symantec's
Wizard, named just "Fax".
So, I tried to change WordBasic.FilePrinterSetup above to just
                "Fax", DoNotSetAsSysDefault:=1
since "Fax" is a dummy printer, neither on LPT1 nor on a server...
Great mistake!!! From then on I kept receiving a DDE error and could not
get back to the original module to restore it to its original value.

5- So, I tried to "repair" Outlook, then repair Office, then
delete/reinstall Office2000, then repair Win2000... in a sequence of
repair and retry...
Always same DDE error!.
Now, everybody says, "in Windows you just have to reinstall..."

6- So, I decided to do a scratch Win2000 install!!!

Now, after quite a number (many!) of hours reloading Win2k, ServicePack
4, Office2000, Modem, etc (a long etc!)

7- Now, I get another error: "Ambiguous name detected: TmpDDE" !!!
(sorry, may not be exactly that, since I get it in Spanish, but it reads
"nombre ambiguo detectado" , so... that's my best translation ).
That name seems to point to the same module as above/before
(WordTmpDDEMod1), but cannot reach any further, since there is not Debug
button.
In the end, I get another final error from WFXMSRVR.exe saying there
were errors.
So, I'm stuck at a dead-end. So many hours reloading Win2k etc, to be at
same starting point!

What am I doing wrong or missing?
Anybody had similar problems and solved them?
Anybody with a similar config and using Symantec Fax Starter Edition can
enlighten me on the name their Fax printer has and its Properties?

TIA,
Antonio Fernandez-Vicenti
afvaiv@xxxxxxxxxx

--