No, you misunderstand.  I'm not reloading from it (what would be the
point?), this is for restoring documents and settings when doing a fresh
Windows install.  Nothing is in use when I do the backup prior to reload
(user files, that is).  If there are any Windows objects that are locked I
don't care because I don't plan on restoring those anyway.  It's mostly a
safety-net for stuff like Favorites, address books, Outlook Express mail
folders, etc.  The most common way that I've used it is to import mail
folders that are typically buried two-dozen levels deep.

I'm sure that there are plenty of 3rd party options but for a one-shot
project where you want a fresh install of Windows and retain your old files
and settings it gets the job done and gives you the option to recover just
about anything of significance.

Dave Parnin
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571
daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Dan Bale

                      <dbale@Duro-last.        To:       PC Technical
Discussion for iSeries Users
                      com>                      <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>@SMTP@CTB

                      Sent by:                 cc:       (bcc: David A
Parnin/Topeka/NISCO/SPCO)
                      pctech-bounces@mi        Subject:  RE: [PCTECH] W98 to
W2K upgrades
                      drange.com

                      09/16/2004 10:22

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      PC Technical

                      Discussion for

                      iSeries Users

                      <pctech@midrange.

                      com>

PC
> to help aleve my paranoia.  Typically if I'm going to do a reload I copy
> the ENTIRE hard drive to a folder on my PC (files, programs,
> Windows--everything).  Do the reload, copy stuff back, reload
> programs, and
> then wait.  After about a month if it's not needed or asked for I don't
> feel so bad about deleting the backup folder on my PC.
>
> I also have nightly, weekly, and monthly backups scheduled on a server PC
> to back up e-mail and files for everybody's individual PC's.  Did
> I mention that I was paranoid?

Typically, backing up from within Windows will NOT backup everything.  As I
understand it, any files "locked" / "in use" by Windows cannot be allocated
and, therefore, is not backed up.  You seem to imply that you have
"reloaded" from a "copy (of) the hard drive", so I don't know if this
applies or not.

This was touched on a month or two ago on this list, so you might want to
check the archives, but I'd recommend for the paranoid to look at the
shareware products found at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/.  I have been
using the DOS IMAGE and it works very well, both on the save & the restore
side.  The 30-day trials are full-featured.

hth,
db