You might also want to look at "Wake on LAN". http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci214609,00.html
If it is a Linux box you can telnet/ssh into it or schedule (cron) the power down. If you want to schedule the Wake on lan see
http://www.winnetmag.com/WindowsScripting/Article/ArticleID/20508/20508.html

A couple of my PC have Wake on Lan but I have not used it. So if you do this and get it to work let us know.

John Ross
www.ERP400.com
www.Netshare400.com

Dan Bale wrote:
The IPcop idea appeals to me.  If I were to do this, I'd probably like to
stash the box in the basement and leave it on permanently.  The reasoning is
this:  If I'm upstairs and want to do some surfing, I don't want to have to
go downstairs to turn on the IPcop box, and ditto when it needs to be turned
off.  Since there are three PCs spread throughout the house that would be
connected to IPcop, two would be inconvenienced if the IPcop box were set
next to one of them.

So, that's why I'm thinking downstairs, unseen, let it gather dust for,
well, whatever.

But there's the issue of electical consumption.  If I could be sure that the
cost of the electricity was less than, say, $3.00 per month to run it 24x31,
well then, a no-brainer.

Otherwise I think I'd be looking at a box that can seriously hibernate.

Ideas would be appreciated.