Do you want an option where your AS400 session doesn't drop very often (and you lose your work), or an option where your AS/400 session almost never drops (and, therefore, you don't lose your work)? PC5250 over the Internet, whether through a VPN tunnel or bare naked (don't do that, please), is riskier than PC5250 on your machine locally connected. If the VPN tunnel goes down or your ISP has problems or whatever, your session on your machine at work is still going - it is completely unaffected by the vagaries of the Internet. That's why we chose the option of using Remote Desktop through VPN - it just does not cause us to lose anything.

I happen to use the SSH Sentinel client that used to be available - it now might be available with a VPN appliance, don't know. It is very easy to configure - much more so than the IPSEC configuration in Win2K/XP, which is excruciatingly painful.

VNC would be a good option for those whose host at work is not XP Pro. I have made no comparison of reliability between VNC and Remote Desktop.

Vern