Sure, with a couple provisos. (The following assumes you have almost no knowledge of 400 files. No insult intended!)

For direct FTP to a physical file:

1. The flat file needs to be fixed-length, matching character-for-character the layout of the physical file. The next 2 items describe things that prevent this.

2. If the physical file has what are called packed fields, then not directly. It is possible to define what is called a logical file in DDS or SQL, and that file can map the packed fields to what are called zoned fields. BTW, packed fields store each digit in half a byte, so each byte stands for 2 digits.

3. If there are negative numbers, not usually - the sign is held in a half-byte of the last byte of the zoned field.

If none of those problems exist, this is very simple. There are a couple naming conventions to get used to, but it's just simple ftp at this point.

But if not, there is still hope - there is a command on the 400, CPYFRMIMPF (copy from import file) that can do the conversions, especially well with delimited PC files. Actually, fixed-length PC files are harder with this command - they require another object on the 400 that defines the layout of the data.

To use CPYFRMIMPF, the flat file has to get to what is called the IFS (Integrated File System) of the 400. This is a PC-like file system, and you can either FTP the file to it, or use Windows networking to get there - map a network drive.

You can ftp the flat file to the IFS, then use a special 400 ftp server subcommand (rcmd) that can execute the CPYFRMIMPF command remotely.

There's more to the details - the ftp manual covers a lot. But ask more questions, and let us know your knowledge level on the 400.

HTH Vern