"And if a really fast IP COP box would yield more effective bandwidth beyond
> an appliance, that would be an added plus to the enhancement of security."

Who says IP COP is anymore secure than an appliance and vice versa?

"> And so my thought is the $2000 dollar Cisco appliance may be well worth
it
> if you need a specific security without degradation."

You lost me on this comment.  Cisco runs on a lot lower edge hardware than
the 800 Mhz recommendation.

"> I think it is fair to say the older computer could be the slowest link of
> the network."

True, but it is relative.  It isn't goign to magically create bandwidth for
you.  Sure a semi-truck is the slowest vehicle on the Interstate, but you
are restricted by the speed limit, so you wouldn't get freight delivered any
faster using a Ferrari.

Your firewall is getting data only so fast, restricted by bandwidth.  You
are nto going to notice any speed difference between using a 400 MHZ
computer or an 800 MHz computer.  Any difference you would have to notice
measuring in milliseconds with several significant digits to the right.

somethingaboutcertificatesandencrypting filesystems the other day ...