Hi Bob -

Not trying to start a religious discussion here (but I fear we have), but it
still sounds like the fat man preaching about the evils of high calorie/high fat
diets while eating an ice cream cone!

I don't see it that way. I have used WinNT4 for five years. It is relatively stable. With the crap that MicroShaft has done with Win2000, and even more with WinXP, there is no way that I am "upgrading" from WinNT4.

So I'm moving on to GNU/Linux, I'm just doing it very slowly.

And yes. My firewall (IPCop) is based on a Linux derivative...but it is packaged
so well, you don't have to actually know anything about Linux.

Since I want to know about GNU/Linux, when I installed RH9 I told it "no firewall" and I wrote up a script with iptables commands from scratch, not using any kind of GUI or anything, so I know exactly what it is doing.

And I've recently loaded RH 8 into a virtual machine (using VMWare) for experimentation purposes.

I'm going the other direction. I will be using VMWare (which I still have to get around and buy) to run my WinNT4 system as is, in a virtual machine on GNU/Linux. Then I'll be gradually switching to GNU/Linux applications. Then I'll set up separate virtual machines for these few Windoze apps that I need to retain: VPN+CAE, OzWinII, and maybe a few other minor things; plus the ability to check my website with Internet Exploder to try to maintain compatibility with as many browsers as possible.

A question: I'm new to the PCTECH list...is this discussion even appropriate here
or should it be elsewhere?

Not only is it appropriate here, it is more appropriate here than on any other of the midrange.com lists.

Ken
http://www.ke9nr.net/
Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or anyone in their right mind.