From: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Date: Thursday, August 28, 2003 10:05:10 AM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: Re: [PcTech] Recovering XP Pro after Thinkpad hard disk

You said this: "I am curious why the msn.com and hotmail customers have had
zero problems
> > with msblast "

MSBlast propogates by attacking port 135. So, the only way msn and hotmail
customers would have been affected my msblast is if the hotmail and msn
servers went down. The way they would have went down from msblast is if
they had port 135 open, which would have been because they had poor firewall
policies in place.

"It is my understanding that many sites with current and complete virus
> protection, firewalls, policies, and locks on the doors got bit by
msblast,
> not just the naive and unwary."

If you couldn't get to port 135, you were nto going to be affected by
msblast. If they did and they do have a firewall between the computer and
the internet blocking 135, then the attack had to come from behind the
firewall. What happened to some companies was this: Soemone had a laptop
outside of the comapny. Got infected with it. Brought it into the company,
started it up, and it attacked the servers from the inside.