>From: JOberholtzer@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:JOberholtzer@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
>IMHO, very very very bad idea. Updates have a bad habit of disabling thing
>right when you don't want them to.

Then again, not installing them has a bad habit of leaving open patched
security holes. If people had applied patches when MS released them CodeRed
and Nimda would have been a minor annoyance.

>Also since WinDOHS is so adverse to
>JAVA, you don't know what Redmond will do to you.

You aren't actually implying that MS would release something that
intentionally disabled/disrupted Java, are you? Maybe I'm a little too
pro-MS, but that's a rather far out conspiracy idea.

>I would customize the OS the way you want it, and use the feature IBM
>includes, ConfigSafe, very liberally. (copies the registry prior to
>software loads) that has saved by bacon on more than one occasion.

FWIW, XP includes a similar option called system restore that not only grabs
the registry, but most "system" components too. If you
delete/destroy/corrupt one you get it back magically or you can "rollback"
your system to a prior state.

>This is a ThinkPad A30 running W2K with VMware to a Linux partition where I
>spend most of my time.

Amen to VMWare! For those that have dual-boot machines take a look, for a
couple of hundred dollars you can run both configs at the same time. Great
for playing w/linux, testing installers, supporting multiple OS/browser
configs, etc.

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President