You could temporarily symlink it to /QOpenSys/usr/lib and see if that fixes
the issue. First make a backup of the existing libcurl.a (if you're
replacing an existing one in /QOpenSys/usr/lib).

Also, do the following to see what members exist in the new libcurl.a you
found.

$ ar -t /usr/local/zendsvr6/lib-8.0.1/libcurl.a

Also, in the WEB400 thread you mentioned "No (my perlz stuff is ancient on
this partition)". That could actually be your issue. If the perzl stuff
has made it's way into the library search path because of how the latest
Zend code is compiled then Zend might be picking up perzl stuff (like it
did in the following thread:
http://archive.midrange.com/opensource/201608/msg00094.html)

Aaron Bartell
litmis.com - Services for open source on IBM i