"OpenSource" <opensource-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 08/18/2016
05:09:44 PM:

From: John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>
To: IBMi Open Source Roundtable <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 08/18/2016 05:10 PM
Subject: Re: [IBMiOSS] gcc for all Litmis Spaces?
Sent by: "OpenSource" <opensource-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Aaron Bartell <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
A lot of this conversation gets back to what Kevin Adler brought up
awhile
back with the Open Build Service (OBS): https://build.opensuse.org

It sounds great, but I couldn't figure out too much about it from that
site or its wiki. I mean, I have at best a very vague and
high-altitude understanding of it.

OBS is a complete solution for building packages. It supports building
rpms, debs, arch packages (and more). It manages the entire lifecycle of
package building. It keeps track of changes made to packages. It has built
in support for building on remote "builders." During a build it will fire
up a new build environment, install all the package build dependencies in
to that build environment, and then run the build. This ensures a clean
build environment that doesn't introduce random dependencies. Once the
build has finished, the output is automatically put up on a built in FTP
server as a package repository (provided the build succeeded). Regardless
of the build outcome, the log is retrieved and stored on the main site for
future perusal.

SUSE Linux and openSUSE use OBS for managing and building every piece of
software they provide. Many projects use the reference server at
build.opensuse.org. Others, like Dell and Intel, setup their own instances
and use it for internal build systems. There's probably other companies
using it that we don't know about.

Other Linux distributions have similar tools: RedHat/Fedora use Koji,
Ubuntu has Launchpad, ...