For me, the holy grail is being able to issue pip install commands and
have them work even when the package being installed has parts that are
implemented in C and thus must be compiled for the target platform.

. . .

Kevin Adler has spoken a few times about this and related topics.

We're incrementally working towards that. For example, Kevin recently
informed me that the libstdc++-devel rpm was necessary to gain access to
some C include files I was missing for Node.js compiles. I then added that
rpm to the pkg_perzl_gcc-4.8.3.lst file(n1).

n1 - http://bit.ly/ibmichroot-pkg-perzl-gcc-4-8-3-lst

In short, it's a work in progress that is getting better every day on many
fronts (the IBMers are putting out ~a lot~ of IBM i OSS the past two
years). Early adopters are getting skinned knees. All of your posts to
the forums conveying issues are very important so the holes can be found
and fixed; either by IBM or the community.

Aaron Bartell
litmis.com - Services for open source on IBM i

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 1:17 PM, John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>