Just to follow up on this. Based on Bucks suggestion and my experience, I have a couple of tips and feedback.

Unlike some of the negative commentary about installing 5733OPS using familiar installation metaphors for IBM i, I don't think the problem is the method, it is the documentation. PTF cover letters are like EULA's to me: You glance at 'em and move on. My installation experiences on Linux have been pretty much "download this and install it like this" or "run this command" and you get plenty of feedback on what is missing or what needs to be done along the way. Perhaps adding a little more feedback during installation of licensed programs would be helpful; like prompts on what needs to be done next either interactively or posted to the joblog.

I am all for having multiple sources of installation instructions...as long as they are clear and helpful. The Developerworks wiki is "kind of" there (no mention of updating). The Club Seiden stuff is OK but I never ran the RSTLICPGM the way the author did and still had success. Buck weighed in on what worked for him. But nothing definitive in one place. Also, this is nothing unique to OSS on IBM i: I run into the same issues with other OSS products; bad missing or misleading instructions.

So here is my curated instructions:

1) Obtain the latest version of the 5733OPS licensed program through ESS. There are some good instructions on getting the image and mounting it (but stop at the installation step) :

http://club.alanseiden.com/learninghall/article/5733-ops-installation-guide/

2) To install the licensed program I just took option 11 on the LICPGM menu. Following the good Dr. Franken's advice, I added install options 3-15 BEFORE I pushed the big button to install. Then I installed from the image catalog.

3) Download, install and apply group PTF SF99223 (V7R2M0). This is where the instructions are all over the deck, suggesting different individual PTF's for each feature. Bite the bullet and install the group. You added a bunch of new options, might as well get them.

That group PTF acted like a TR (maybe it is) It took a LONG time to install and IPL.. Fortunately I am the only one using this partition so I didn't care.

After those three simple steps, you should be good to go. I am going to say *should* because I didn't do those three steps in the correct order. I installed the massive PTF first, thinking that it would magically put the stuff on for me. So, after installing the PTF and getting nothing for the effort, I then installed the updated 5733OPS, thinking that would fix it. It didn't. So then I re-applied the PTF thinking that it would fix it. It didn't! So I went back, re-installed 5733OPS, this time adding all 15 options and THEN applied the PTF (again). Still no joy until Buck point out the need to shoot the HTTPSVR subsystem and the magical "call qsysdir/qinavmnsrv *STOP" incantation plus re-apply the group PTF (was getting REAL good at applying the PTF!)

So again, I think the correct sequence is the 1,2,3 above. And, if you don't get an IPL out of installing the group PTF, then shoot the HTTPSVR subsystem and run the magic incantation and then apply the group PTF. That is what worked for me.