Well we can debate the nuances of the way IBM did this but you need to understand that they wanted to make the process as 'simple' as possible for them to cut these new options loose. To do that they created all these options (which by the way are likely already in your current download) Just install options 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15.) Installing these empty option is el-quicko as there am nothing there. Thus as they cut PTFs loose (VASTLY simpler than adding an LPP option) you get the new feature option or update.

Maybe I eat sleep and breath LPPs and PTFs too much but it made perfect sense to me. For the record if a PTF is for an option of a product that you do not have installed it makes perfect sense that if you want the PTF you would need the option installed. Documentation of that is not needed.

I did ask Alison if there was any discussion about changing this method of distribution and I got a flat out table pounding laugh. And then she said: "And this is the first time I can say this is NOT because it's you asking Larry, it's just not gonna happen!"

Honestly though do you want IBM coming up with a slick new install upgrade delivery and notification process or do you want them making with the new options? Me I'm voting for the latter.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com