So are you saying you want to patch the operating system for some users,
or some jobs, but not for others on the same machine?

Yes.

I don't know of any architecture that lets you do that.

We probably need to make sure we're talking about the same things because
some things are very important to have differentiation, and others not
(specifically talking about application development). For example, I
doesn't matter to me whether the BRMS PTFs are differentiated. But it
matters big time that I can have multiple versions of Node.js/Ruby/Python
on my system. Tools like rvm/nvm** were developed for this exact purpose.

**Ruby Version Manager: http://rvm.io, Node Version Manager:
https://github.com/creationix/nvm

You can install PTFs into a temporary location (or install them
temporarily), and then remove them individually if some don't work out.

I need to have both the old and new versions active at the same time so I
can thoroughly test the upgrade/fixes. Again, this is specific for
application development things.

Aaron Bartell
litmis.com - Services for open source on IBM i

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Mark Murphy/STAR BASE Consulting Inc. <