You're completely correct, John. I should be more careful with my
terminology.

Each Litmis Space has three schemas that all belong to the *LOCAL database.

How do the other Spaces folks connect to the database?

Python on Litmis Spaces is new, so this group is the first to kick the
tires. As best I can tell it appears the ibm_db connect** function
requires the user/password to be specified (Node.js doesn't require this
and Ruby is slated to work the same).

**
https://github.com/ibmdb/python-ibmdb/blob/master/IBM_DB/ibm_db/ibm_db_dbi.py#L543

Shoot me a private email with your Litmis Spaces user profile and I will
reset your password.

Also, here's a sample script to start with. Notice the modified method for
importing ibm_db. I haven't researched Python's import resolution
practices, so this works for now. Also note, this ran fine the first time
but I am now getting a "Error occurred in SQL Call Level Interface
SQLSTATE=HY009 SQLCODE=-99999" error that I am working to resolve. It
seems others have had this same SQL error.
----conn.py----
import sys
sys.path.append("/QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/OPS/Python-pkgs/ibm_db/ibm_db-2.0.5.1-py3.4-os400-powerpc.egg")
import ibm_db

db_name = '*LOCAL'
schema = 'LFLYD_T'
username = 'xxxxx'
password = 'xxxxx'

try:
conn = ibm_db.connect(db_name, username, password)
except:
print("no connection:", ibm_db.conn_errormsg())
if conn:
result_set = ibm_db.exec_immediate(conn, "SET SCHEMA " + schema)
result_set = ibm_db.exec_immediate(conn, "CREATE TABLE CUSTOMER ( CUSNUM
NUMERIC(6, 0), LSTNAM VARCHAR(50) )")
result_set = ibm_db.exec_immediate(conn, "INSERT INTO CUSTOMER VALUES
(123,'Smith')")
result_set = ibm_db.exec_immediate(conn, "SELECT * FROM CUSTOMER")
while (ibm_db.fetch_row(result_set)):
result = ibm_db.result(result_set, 1)
print(result)
ibm_db.close(conn)
else:
print ('connection failed')

Aaron Bartell
litmis.com - Services for open source on IBM i

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 5:12 PM, John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>