On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Kevin Adler <kadler@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The wheels/eggs have different file names to distinguish which Python
version they support:

Right, that makes sense.

I think we talked about having a separate Python 2 directory, but didn't
seem worth it.

No need (at least on IBM's part) for the separate directory; it's fine
to rely on the naming convention of the files.

So this is really a note for Aaron, who earlier said:

To date Litmis Spaces has been used mostly for
Node.js and RubyOnRails. Python not so much. Today
we follow the same directory structure as IBM.

Kevin has confirmed that Python-pkgs is just a place to put the
"finished builds". From a Python programmer's perspective, those
packages are not installed until they are in directly usable form in
the appropriate site-packages directory. And that step is most
appropriately performed by the administrator (whoever is applying the
PTFs), not the programmer.

The link again for that is

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/IBM%20i%20Technology%20Updates/page/Installing%20shipped%20add-ons

Just a quick note: I've left a comment there about a typo for
installing the itoolkit egg.

John Y.