From: John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>
To: IBMi Open Source Roundtable <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 06/20/2016 12:44 PM
Subject: Re: [IBMiOSS] Error installing pandas
Sent by: "OpenSource" <opensource-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Bill Gravelle <starbg@ibmi.rocks>
wrote:
Jim,

What version(s) of Python do you have installed? Is this from the
IBM 5733OPS Option 2 (Python 3.x) or 4 (Python 2.x)? Or is it
another version? Are you doing this installation work into a
chroot’d environment?

Hm. I would have thought, based on another thread ("Re: Resources to
Learn beginner Learning in RPG"), that he's trying this on Litmis,
which has 57733OPS Option 2.

But I have recently opened a Python space on Litmis as well, and I
can't even get as far as he did. For me, any attempt to use pip (to
install any package) results in

[last part of traceback only]
File "/QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/OPS/Python3.4/lib/python3.4/site-
packages/pip/_vendor/distlib/compat.py",
line 6
6, in <module>
from urllib.request import (urlopen, urlretrieve, Request,
url2pathname,
ImportError: cannot import name 'HTTPSHandler'

However, I also signed up for pub400.com (currently also only Option
2), and over there, I have successfully installed XlsxWriter, xlrd,
and Bottle (all pure Python, no C compilation involved) using pip
inside a venv.

I tried installing ibm_db (which does have a C component) the same
way, and it failed with

[last part of traceback only]
File "/QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/OPS/Python3.4/lib/python3.4/urllib/
request.py",
line 1185, in do_open
raise URLError(err)
urllib.error.URLError: <urlopen error A failure in the SSL library
occurred (_ssl.c:600)>

So, these new offerings are definitely rough around the edges. Both
very cool, but currently not in great shape to leverage both Python
and the i simultaneously. (A huge step would be to install ibm_db and
itoolkit.)

Relevant links, particularly for Holger and Aaron:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/
wiki/IBM%20i%20Technology%20Updates/page/Installing%20shipped%20add-ons

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/
wiki/IBM%20i%20Technology%20Updates/page/Python%20PTFs

Honestly, I don't understand why flipflop and bottle were released as
PTFs for Option 2 (since they are trivially installable with pip), and
perhaps that is why these are not PTFs for Option 4.

John Y.