From: Midrange-NonTech [mailto:midrange-nontech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Dan
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2015 3:56 PM
To: Non-Technical Discussion about the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: Would you recommend a career in IT to a young person?

Only with caveats.

When outsourcing to overseas first became a thing, I told myself the way to
keep my job was to invest in the business knowledge of the company I work
for.  Anybody can "code" programs, but having someone who understands the
business they work for and can "code" has value that makes it difficult to
ship offshore.

But I underestimated the stupidity of bean counters who were so intent on
saving money that they couldn't see the forest for the trees.  As a result,
they replaced my entire team at my former employer with one guy on a visa
here in the states and a bunch in India.  In the end, the company got what
they paid for.  BTW, Infosys has infiltrated my former employer.  My team
wasn't the first to go, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Even before this happened, when my eldest son expressed interest in
programming, I advised that if he was only interested in "coding", it might
be a tough haul.

As long as companies and Congress persist that they need to expand h1b
because of skilled labor shortages that don't exist, I don't see a
particularly bright future for getting into IT.

That's all I'll say for now.

- Dan

http://www.monster.com/news/other/the-engagement-crisis-in-it-what-to-do-b59