John

Java at V5R2 is going to be pretty slow. I'm thinking that the 32-bit versions were not available - they run much faster.

So to make the comparison at that release level is just not a good idea. If you are stuck there, you should do some techniques to help things - like be sure to start the JVM only once for any job where you make multiple calls to Java. The security checking that is always done is what seems to kill things in my/our experience.

Java was pretty deep in SLIC - with components at a higher level. But it performs better when using the 32-bit versions that run in PASE. Get to 6.1 or 7.1 and you will see a huge change.

HTH
Vern