I think the really relevant information is the phrase "backup
configuration settings." It's a really basic concept. If you don't back
up data, you can lose data. It sounds like they could use some education
in proper backup strategy.

It's interesting the subject of the original message is: "Indiana school
district wipes out high school grades." That's accurate. The school
district wiped out the grades by failing to do proper backups. Years ago,
I worked for a company and was responsible for backups. I managed to save
all the user's data, but I missed backing up the system configuration and
security information. After we got the system restored, it took a week or
so to get the configuration back where it belonged. I also implemented a
better backup strategy. Yes, my problems were caused by a hardware
failure, but I didn't blame any of the resulting troubles on the hardware.
It was my fault. Any hardware can fail, but and AS/400 or iSeries or
System i or Power system (did I get all the names?) experiences them less
often than some other platforms.