Mike--

Cable swaps are changes... but one cable looks pretty much like another; they'll never spot the change. (:

I hope that before you tossed the bad cable that you cut off at least one of the connectors! Otherwise, someone will see the cable in the trash and wonder why someone's tossing out a 'perfectly good' cable, and return it to inventory to come back and bite you again!

8 people is enough to implement change control. I hope you have a change management system in place-- and keep the programmers out of the production environment.

The biggest thing auditors like to see is restricted access to the live data. All 8 of the iSeries folks should NOT be allowed to install changed programs in production! It should be 2 people (so you at least have a backup).

And a change management system is as simple as locking the production source and object code so that programmers can read it and copy it to their own work library, but it takes one of the 2 'install-enabled' people to replace the production source and objects.

Production data should be locked so that it takes a production program to change data (ie "SuperUser" owns the data objects, and all programs are owned by and run as "SuperUser," but the Users have permission to run the programs. This helps keep users from using PCs and ODBC & such to update files from their PCs.

We wrote a "quick and dirty" installer program to do the moves and adjust authority-- we wrote it Q&D because it wouldn't be around very long. It's still with us after at least 15 years, so write carefully! (:

We also have our own version of "movobj" that checks to see if the object already exists, and renames the old version before the move. It provides us with 3 old and 1 live version. There's a version that does the same for source members as well.

But all of our Quick & Dirty stuff has been superseded by an "official" change management system that's used for (most) production environments.

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx