This installation is a large distributor. And costs more that $50k and less than $100k. MS/Citrix licensing already paid for. Main app is on the i5. All other apps, email, virus checking, thin client desktops (Citrix), web publishing, SQL database, etc are all on Windows boxes. The VMware allocates memory, CPU and disk space. They also provide an environment just for the development/testing world. Add a fix, it breaks, reload OS in 5 min. Works well.

Fritz Hayes

Aaron Bartell wrote:
Are the Windows servers doing the "One App One Server" approach? That's
still a lot of server OSes to maintain (i.e. patches). I have also seen the
many LPAR approach taken in i5/OS shops also though - it lessens the chance
of stepping on other apps toes I guess, though you end up with more OSes to
maintain (again).
We all know Windows and i5/OS are both capable of being more than a
One-App-One-Server machine, but it is interesting to see how companies are
reasoning away from that approach.

BTW, that _is_ quite the impressive setup you have there! Would be
interesting to hear pricing on your setup if you are able to divulge.
Apart from VMWare for servers I have often wondered about using VMWare for
developer machines to get them up and running with necessary software on a
fresh OS in less than 10 minutes. I believe it would be as simple as
copy/paste one VMWare session file to another, right?

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com