Same here, I like to try to figure it out myself - guess it comes down to how long is long enough before placing a call and that can vary. End users being effected NOW is different than something new just being tested and it's not working. First one you call after a short time of trying to solve the problem, the second you can take a little longer. However in both cases you might be wasting your companies money (your salary) by not calling sooner.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-nontech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-nontech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lukas Beeler
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:57 PM
To: Non-Technical Discussion about the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: i5 Youngsters

On 1/15/08, Mike Cunningham <mcunning@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't know if this attitude goes back to the beginning of this discussion (i5 users are "graying" (I like to say experienced)) and after working in IT for many years the "experienced" group knows that it is not an indication of one's inability to call for an experts help in solving a problem which is the attitude I see from a lot of younger IT employees (our Windows admins average age is in the high 20s - our i5 group is in the mid 40s)

Well, i prefer resolving problems on my own too. But only if it makes
sense - if there's a small problem and i can take my time resolving
it, i'll do so. You always learn new stuff that way. But in a critical
situation, when time is short, i prefer having the vendor involves. It
makes my life easier, and the users happier.

--
Read my blog at http://projectdream.org