I'll agree that all servers have the _potential_ to go down for
unplanned reasons in addition to planned reasons. But I'd still argue
that a System i will have fewer unplanned outages than a Windows server.

Anyway I'm not so sure about the "fraction of the cost" piece. To
replace the single WebSphere App Server job we're running on the System
i today we're investing a lot of money (multiple six figures) and are
taking on a lot of operating expense (thousands of $ per month in
administration fees, higher hosting costs, etc.) to move that workload
to WAS on Apache on Windows on VMWare on Dell with an F5 to front-end &
load balance. To achieve similar uptime we've added 4 new vendors to
the mix, 2 new operating systems, a front-end processor, an additional
rack in the data center, more networking gear (new firewalls & more
switch capacity), a backup appliance, and so on. And we'll have to
replicate this in our DR center eventually.

We're doing this for performance & scalability reasons but I have to
wonder at this point if we would have been better off to just upgrade
the System i than to rework the infrastructure like this (not my
decision).