May I add something I've not heard exactly - perception and familiarity and origins and purposes.

iSeries started out as a business computer in the form of the System 38 in particular. It had predecessors in the other 30's, et al. But no one put these in their bedroom or den, unless to heat up the house. If they even knew such things existed.

Windows began as a graphic cover for DOS and as a home not business system. It ended up on everyone's radar, for all intents and purposes. Then it expanded, as MS - heh types BS for a minute - Sigmund's petticoat - went into the business and server market that had been the province of such as Bull and HP and IBM and others I don't know of.

Even MS used up to 32 AS/400s for years to run their business and may still do so for all we know, albeit through another company, perhaps - we don't know for sure and frank soltis can't say, either, anymore. I just know, because it was in a Help Systems ad in News/3X/400, that MS had copies of Robot in their machines.

So we have a problem - everyone knows about Windows - very few except IT professionals know about IBM midrange hardware. That perception gap may never be broached.

No solutions here to my/our dilemma of facing the future and our employment prospects. That might be behind some of this discussion, as well. I for sure want to keep working gainfully for at least a couple more weeks.

Morning Musings!
Vern