Aaron, your first statement raised an even bigger picture question in my mind. How many companies switch server OSes from anything to anything whether that be *nix to (Windows or Netware or i5/OS or z/os); or Windows to (*nix or Netware or i5/OS or z/os); or all other combinations of moves? I have read articles in the past on people doing all of these but nothing that would tell me that there is a mass migration to/from anything. Has anyone ever seen a legit and fair analysis of what server OSes are in use in the real world and if that has changed much over the past 5-10 years? That would be a very tough analysis since you can't just count the number of licenses sold, as a single install of z/os is worth many, many, many, Windows licenses.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-nontech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-nontech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Aaron Bartell
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 3:26 PM
To: 'Non-Technical Discussion about the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: RE: i5 Youngsters

Lots of good comments Lukas. This is the statement that caught my eye and
has been bugging me for some time:

"How many companies are switching TO the System i?"

I would be VERY surprised if a new customer would pick RPG on the System i
for new development, so I won't consider that an option. I do see value in
having all your processes/servers running on a single machine using multiple
LPARs. Would that be enough pull to get a shop who develops in PHP to buy a
System i? Think of all the knowledge learning they would have to do to
maintain it? It isn't huge, but it is a new knowledge set that will have to
live through the half-life of information and be kept up on as new things
come down the pipe.

I know a "Director of New System i Sales" position exists at IBM because I
met him in an executive briefing at COMMON. I regret I neglected to ask
where new sales are coming from (read, new customers). Anybody know how
many new customers the System i gets a month/quarter? I am not talking
about shops upgrading or previous customers that want to venture into new
business and choose System i.

I would think pre-packaged System i machines with things like
SugarCRM/Alfresco/Joomla/VOIP/etc would be attractive for a small business
owner if they could get it all for 15K. To have a one stop server that runs
90% of my business would be appealing.

Here's a site I stumbled across today that should be good for mining idea's
for software to run on the iSeries (i.e. PHP and JSF/JSP/Java):
http://www.osalt.com/

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com