Thanks for the restoration in my faith for a future phone. I was
surprised when I left the country and the phone would not stop hunting
for service, disabling some or all of the other features, like the
clock and alarm, I could not really tell what would work. The very
first thing I do with a new phone is inhibit roaming, so it hunts for
the native service which, in this case, I am glad it did not find. I
have a new Sanyo Katana II (4 of them) which contains menu options
like:
Wireless backup (for phone book)
1) subscribe
2) Learn more

DO NOT buy one of these if you want the better experiences you have
been reading about that appear productive and cost effective.
The only way to get a photo from my phone (that I can see) is to pay
nose-blood to upload it using metered data bytes (like the taxi cab)
or sign up for an expensive data plan. My camera had a cable in the
box. These cell devices are designed to rip everyone off, little by
little if your lucky.

The family plan I am on is more like the bankruptcy plan, and my
better half really searched before we renewed. We almost switched to
Verizon.

The inability to control the expense on these phones is simply
unacceptable, from my view on the carrier I am using.
FWIW I have read through some of the complaints listed concerning
various services, and I feel fortunate.

Why would I want data services when:
1) I have them in other places (and am paying for it)
2) get message like this year after year on the site they represent
their company with:
Temporarily Unavailable

We are very sorry, but the systems required to access your account
information are currently unavailable.

We regret any inconvenience this causes. Please try again later, and
thank you for choosing...
---Ever since they switched to Java about 5-6 years ago...the web
interface has been sub-standard in every way. If it was Amazon they
would have been long gone.

Why did we keep this service? If you yack a lot on the interstate some
providers and plans are better on the face, depending on where you
live.

Phone challenged: Yes
Next phone: probably the Jitterbug. Or a palm-size computer WITH a
phone module instead of the other way around.