From: midrange-nontech-bounces+albartell=gmail.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-nontech-bounces+albartell=gmail.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Paul Nelson
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 7:49 AM
To: 'Non-Technical Discussion about the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: RE: iSeries revenue plummets

With all due respect to the programmers on the list, Aaron, it is not
languages that sell business systems, it's application software. That, and
marketing.

The 30-something MBA's who are moving into decision making roles don't
remember the old adage that you won't get fired for buying IBM. Now, the
adage is that you won't get fired for buying Microsoft/Oracle/SAP. The
applications could be written in Swahili for all they care. All they care
about is being able to use a mouse to drive it, and can they get their
spreadsheets out of it. How many new ERP business applications are being
written for the System i platform?

If it's not hip, they won't buy it. Look at the latest IBM Blade Center ads.
The old guy (like me) is freaking out. The young guy comes to the rescue.
The message is this: "Don't be like the old guy. Buy the latest buzz words."

The youngsters fall for it every time, because they were raised in a society
where stuff is disposable after they tire of its flashiness. Nobody is
concerned with ROI or TCO or MTBF or reliability or stability.

Just my gray haired two cents worth.

Paul Nelson
Cell 708-670-6978
Office 512-392-2577