From: Dave Willenborg

I attended a seminar/presentation last Tuesday presented by MSI and IBM.
Part of that presentation concerned education. IBM has set up an iSeries
lpar 570 at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln to teach UNIX, Linux,
AIX, DB2, SQL database but nothing was said about teaching RPG.

That's interesting, Dave. As far as I was aware, that machine is part of
the iSeries Academic Initiative and was supposed to be used for teaching RPG
as well. I hope to talk to Linda Grigoleit next week; I'll try to remember
to ask about that.

It was also mentioned that our local tech college was teaching iSeries
classes including RPG. None of this has been published in any articles
that I can remember.

Hopefully we can change that. Please stay tuned as we relaunch the RPG
Developer publication at MC Press Online. I'll have an article on Wednesday
giving a better idea of the new magazine, but as a little secret between you
and me (don't tell anyone else!), the new publication going to have exactly
what you're looking for.

If iSeries publications and IBM would push the iSeries more and make sure
companies new there were classes available, maybe the need for H1Bs would
go away

Not only will we have the best industry experts, but also new faces and a
completely new take on RPG as a primary language for the next generation of
business application developers.

RPG and i5/OS are unparalleled, but with the recent changes inside of IBM,
it seems we're going to be even further buried there, so I guess it's time
for us to take charge of our own destiny!

Joe