While we've been bitching about the content of the IBM ads of late,
especially since they don't perhaps sing the praises of the (rummaging
through notes) "System i5" enough, I just noticed something:

As of fairly recently the new leader in advertising mindspace is IBM, not
Microsoft.  Between the HelpDesk ads and the Server ads, I think IBM has
successfully supplanted the rather vague "Do whatever you want" Microsoft
ads.  And personally, I think the IBM ads are better.  The one where the
older guy brings his invention to the HelpDesk is great, and the one with
the little girl in China and the virtual schoolroom is every bit as touching
as the old "Microsoft sees" ads.

The Microsoft ads, because of the nature of what they were selling, had to
by definition be pretty vague, since a lot of what they sold was based on
hype or spin.  They resorted to humor and warm fuzzies, and that's where the
commercials ended.  IBM, on the other hand, uses a little bit of warm
fuzzies and some mildly over-the-top humor top sell an actual message: we've
got solutions, and particularly solutions that get rid of those nasty server
farms.

Leading up to the Super Bowl, I've got IBM comfortably in the lead in the
advertising battle by a touchdown and a field goal.

Joe