Chuck,

Ahhhhh, the $64,000 question.  The answer is that our management (lacking
spines and a few other anatomical parts that I will not mention) did not
feel comfortable fighting the 'standard'.  One problem is that this
information did not go very high up......due to political
circumstances.....the other is I think our VP of IT decided that if he was
going through the risky SAP implementation he would rather implement it via
their standard in case the implementation flopped.....he didn't want a
system choice to be the source of blame.....Not a smart move from my
perspective.........ignoring a general business rule regarding costs seems
rather.......ahhhhh, I've said enough to get myself in trouble....

What was rather interesting is that our parent company as well as the
consultant that we selected went out of their way to create imaginary
technical hurdles to help enforce the need for the standard.  I'm talking
completely fabricated issues.....

The one point I did not mention is that the i5 availability was the major
component behind making the iSeries an affordable solution
comparatively.......

Another piece of advice is that if you are considering SAP and you are
using the iSeries or contemplating it I would work with the Comtech Group.
I'm not affiliated in any way but I'm under the impression that they have
done the largest number of iSeries SAP implementations and you will get the
straightest story.....

Michael Crump
Manager, Computing Services
Saint-Gobain Containers
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN  47302
(765)741-7696
(765)741-7012 f
(800)428-8642

"The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us
from the support of a cause we believe to be just"  Abraham Lincoln

             Chuck Lewis
             <clewis@xxxxxxxxx
             t>                                                         To
                                       Non-Technical Discussion about the
             12/16/2004 08:52          AS400 / iSeries
             AM                        <midrange-nontech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

               Non-Technical           RE: Microsoft targets IBM midrange
             Discussion about          server customers
                the AS400 /
                  iSeries
             <midrange-nontech
              @midrange.com>

That is VERY interesting information Mike - thanks so much for letting us
know.

So did the company, in deciding to delay, at least drop the Windows choice
in favor of iSeries in light of this information ? Or were the blindly
insisting on that in SPITE of this information and that is what they can't
afford ?

Chuck