Hey guys!  I received this news and I thought it was interesting enough to
share it with you:

Tim Radford / Friday October 22, 2004 The Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1333008,00.html

/================================================================/

Britain's geologists are about to celebrate the fact that the universe is
exactly 6,000 years old.

At 6pm tonight at the Geological Society of London, scientists will raise
their glasses to James Ussher, Archbishop of Armagh (below), who in 1650
used the chronology of the Bible to calculate the precise date and moment
of creation.

Working from the book of Genesis, and risking some speculation on the
Hebrew calendar, he calculated that it began at 6pm on Saturday October
22, 4004 BC.

Actually, he put the date at October 23, and then pedantically realised
that time must have begun the night before, because the Bible said that
"the evening and the morning were the first day."

The geologists selected the anniversary for a day-long conference on some
of the fakes, frauds and hoaxes that have plagued geological and
palaeontological research for centuries. "It's not that we think
Archbishop Ussher's date was a fraud," said Ted Nield, the society's
communications officer. "It's just that it was spectacularly wrong."

Dr Nield conceded, too, that in toasting the archbishop's calculations the
geologists were committing another error. More than 6,000 years have
passed since 4004 BC. The symmetry is only apparent. The date is a mere
numerological reflection. The real anniversary passed unnoticed, in 1997.

Happy Friday!

Peter Vidal
PALL Corporation
SR Programmer Analyst
5775 Rio Vista Drive, Clearwater, FL 33760-3137

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful
servant.  We have created a society that honors the servant and has
forgotten the gift."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)