> "Scott Lindstrom" wrote:
> Subject: interesting contradiction about needing H1B workers

> I thought this article raises an interesting contradiction:
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=17800189
>
> The quote:
>
>  "Hummel says he's had some jobs open for two years looking for qualified
> people, and, if he can't hire someone to do a job, he has to pay
> consultants three or four times the salary rate."
>
> to me says he *can* find qualified workers (the consultants), he just
> doesn't  want to pay the going rate.  So he looks for H1B workers instead.

Scott -
Not any more contradictory than the announcement made yesterday by the
ITAA (the Information Technology Association of America), whose chief
shill is Harris Miller, that outsourcing is CREATING jobs in America!

(See below)

>From Lou Dobbs Tonight, Mar. 30, 2004:
Full transcript:
http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0403/30/ldt.00.html

<Snip>

PETER VILES, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): In Chicago, engineers protest
at Boeing, which they claim has shipped American jobs to Asia.

Exporting jobs now such a hot political issue that the technology industry,
companies like Hewlett-Packard, IBM and Microsoft, is fighting back. Their
Washington lobby commissioned a report defending outsourcing as nothing new
and nothing bad for the American economy.

NARIMAN BEHRAVESH, GLOBAL INSIGHT: But if you really look at the history of
the U.S., we have benefited tremendously from all kinds of free trade. This
is just one more kind of free trade. People say this is different. It's not.
It's exactly the same. VILES: The report for the Information Technology
Association claims outsourcing of I.T. jobs actually helped create 90,000
jobs in the United States last year and will create 317,000 new jobs in
2008.

Critics dismiss the report, saying it fails to explain huge job losses in
recent years.

LEE PRICE, ECONOMIC POLICY INSTITUTE: They say that we have created jobs in
this economy because of offshoring. That cannot be justified by the facts.
We've lost three million private sector jobs in the last three years.

VILES: Economists are still puzzled by weak hiring amid strong growth. Now
Goldman Sachs has a new theory. Maybe the growth numbers are wrong, because
the government is under estimating the amount of work that is outsourced and
then imported back into the United States.

JAN HATZIUS, GOLDMAN SACHS: For example in 2002 the government recorded
about $660 million of service imports, professional service imports from
India, but some of the Indian statistics organizations are showing numbers
of as much as $6 billion or so.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

VILES: Another analysis of outsourcing by Morgan Stanley concludes that
economists and policy makers are, quote, "flying blind" on this issue
because there is so little good information on how many jobs have been sent
out of this country -- John.

KING: And Pete, give me a little bit more on how they believe this works.
Economics 101, if you will. How does outsourcing create jobs here?

VILES: In theory, they get the job done cheaper. That saves them money. Then
the products come back. It's cheaper; that saves consumers money. In theory
the companies and the consumers take that savings and reinvest it in the
economy, giving you economic growth.

It's very hard to test that theory in the short term here, particularly when
we're not getting the kind of job growth the economy -- the other numbers
would indicate we should be getting -- John.

KING: Peter Viles in New York. Thank you very much.

</Snip>