I'm a consultant, and I don't sell any software or hardware, just my
services. But I also tell any vendors that I may recommend that I *won't*
take a finders fee or a kickback or anything else. If I did, my clients
wouldn't be able to trust my judgement. Along those lines, I think that a
consultant that has the opportunity to recommend their own product can't
be totally trusted. Not because they are scamming, but because they
probably think their product is the best - that's why they work for that
company.

I feel you have to have an arm's length between the
consultant/recommender/evaluator and the vendor.