I can't argue to much against the TV ad thing.  I'm not sure if it would be
a great use of money.

However, IBM does not fly every person that could conceivably be interested
in buying an iSeries in to Rochester for a personal tour and sales pitch.
They let a few people come and visit.  Also, if TV advertising is such a
waste of money...why is it being spent on advertising Linux?  Why is M$
pitching 2003 server and active directory to the masses?  Why is Dell
featuring ads about their servers?  We've seen advertising that is not
targeted to the home pc user nor the small business owner.   Why?
Mindshare?  Product awareness?  Some other benefit?

Now, in defense of the iSeries marketers.  They have an allotment of money
to spend and are most likely limited to what they can do in a functional
sense.  So, they are spending their rather finite amount of money and
attention in other areas.  This is not bad, however, in my world it is
rather frustrating because we have to constantly defend our iSeries
position and it seems to me that the nay sayers are effectively ignorant on
the subject.  I realize that observation is subjective and may not be
empirical.  I happen to think it is a valid theory but others may not
agree.

Of course, this email and others will spark a fairly lengthy debate that we
have already had numerous times.  We all have many opinions about how to
solve the problem.  I wonder if we are in agreement as to what the problem
is...

1.)  Does the product have the proper amount of awareness?  Do people know
that it exists?

2.)  Does the product have the right kind awareness?  In other words to
people know the machine and what it can do?

3.)  Is this information getting to enough of the right people?  Do
decision makers and influencers know what is there?

If you ask me the answer to all of these questions is NO.

----- Forwarded by Mike Crump/IT/SGContainers on 02/02/2004 11:12 AM -----

                      Booth Martin

                      <Booth@xxxxxxxxxx        To:
midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                      om>                      cc:

                                               bcc:

                      02/02/2004 10:52         Subject:  Re: IBM Linux Ad
during Super Bowl
                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical

                      Discussion

To add to your comments Larry:  There is several kinds of advertising.  TV
is only one kind.

Using TV advertising for the iSeries would be a horrid waste of money.
For
the same money you could fly every person that could conceivably be
interested in buying an iSeries in to Rochester for a personal tour and
sales pitch.

Whats that you say?  You say they already do that? Well how about that.

Booth Martin   http://www.MartinVT.com
Booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx