Anne,

Sorry for the delay.

I find that the iSeries home page is not structured as a complete portal
into the iSeries world.  It is a pretty good start for me if I'm going to
delve into documentation, the support environment, the PTF environment,
etc.  But if need to start more generically - other non-iSeries IBM sites,
software, etc. the iSeries Nation is my page.  If I need to see some
updated information - programs, rebates, etc.  iSeries Nation is the place
to go to.  So, in my mind iSeries Nation provides the best consistent
stopping place for iSeries information......

I'd love to see more information and a different approach but I think it is
the best iSeries starting point.

By the way, congratulations on your additional job functions.

Michael Crump
Saint-Gobain Containers
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN  47302
(765)741-7696
(765)741-7012 f
(800)428-8642

mailto:mike.crump@saint-gobain.com

                      Anne Lucas
                      <alucas@us.ibm.co        To:
midrange-nontech@midrange.com
                      m>                       cc:
                                               bcc:
                      11/08/02 02:15 PM        Subject:  Collaboration
                      Please respond to
                      midrange-nontech

I think I "musta" missed a couple of these discussion strings.

Mike, you mentioned iSeries Nation being a portal in/out of IBM ... tell me
more, please!

**************************

Couple of points that I'd like to make.....one is I also give the Anne the
highest marks for her efforts and intentions.  Somehow I don't think that
came through at all.

Secondly, there is a link under Resources, Web Sites for Midrange.com.  I
thought I saw Ignite on there somewhere before but can't find it.

But more to the point of your thoughts Vern.....this also did not come out.
I think the best collaborative tool we have right now is Midrange-L and
said so during the interview (please don't think I'm knocking the article).
I mentioned that it would be rather stupid for iSeries Nation to try to
compete with that.  And I'm glad that they haven't.  However, are there
areas that we could improve on?  Maybe.  I think your points are
interesting.  I'm a little hesitant because I have a hard time envisioning
other collaborative forms working.  We use SameTime here and it is
definitely useful.  Extending that out into the real world with our
midrange community......not sure but think if you had the electronic
interface available (hint hint) and you and some other members wanted to
collaborate that way......

I'd love to see the iSeries Nation website to become the iSeries portal (in
and out of IBM) because I have a tendency to use it that way.  I'm sure
this will evoke a lot of comments but I think that it does that to a degree
now.

Michael Crump
Saint-Gobain Containers
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN  47302
(765)741-7696
(765)741-7012 f
(800)428-8642

mailto:mike.crump@saint-gobain.com

----- Forwarded by Mike Crump/IT/SGContainers on 10/25/02 11:05 AM -----

                      Vern Hamberg
                      <vhamberg@centerfieldtech        To:
midrange-l@midrange.com
                      nology.com>                      cc:
                                                       bcc:
                      10/25/02 10:43 AM                Subject:  Re: 9
years!
                      Please respond to
                      midrange-l

Anne

In the 10/24 NEWS/Wire, there's something about citizen feelings about
iNation. Here's one

>Specifically, Crump would like to see more collaborative
>capabilities. "There are benefits that iSeries Nation can provide
>for the passing back and forth of information," he says. "Why
>couldn't they expand upon the chat process online perhaps? They've
>done that to some degree, but using technology like Sametime to a
>greater extent would be useful."

Now this group, and others, like Ignite400, provide a lot of collaborative
function. Are they publicized at iNation?

And David has added new stuff as it seems useful - like the XML stuff. And
the newsgroup hook.

Maybe David's ready to put this on a SameTime server, too?   <g>

But my point is, partly, how to coordinate these things. There are google
groups on the 400, there may be Yahoo groups. NEWSwire and its parent,
other places, all have good info and have different missions and targets.
Maybe iNation could list these, with the requisite IBM legal disclaimers
and waivers of responsibility ;-)

BTW, I got going with this group around '97 or '98, when Booth and I got a
joint award for the most posts - the nice button.

Regards

Vern

************
Have a great day! and .... Enthusiasm is like a ripple in the water... It
spreads!

Anne C. Lucas, Project Exec for iSeries Customer Relationships, IBM eServer
iSeries Marketing
iSeries Nation web site:  http://www.ibm.com/eserver/nation1
Chatting with Citizens: http://www.ibm.com/eserver/nation/chate1

205/823-4831  T/L 537-9968,   800/223-3907 Pager
eFax 1-501-325-2182
Admin Assist:   Alice Sebastiano Telephone:  (914) 642-4109, tie line
224-4109 Fax:  (914) 642-6976, tie line 224-6976