URLs:

ZDNet: Computer Security Stories
http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/filters/mrc/0,14175,6020424,00.html

ZDNet: Tech Update: Security / Antivirus firms: FBI loophole is out of line
http://clickthru.online.com/Click?q=96-pjPWQtdHds3IkmcCUQgeaEuR

Vmyths.com- Truth About Computer Virus Myths & Hoaxes
http://www.vmyths.com/

Did the Gilmore Commission call for a secret Cyber Court to be run inside the
USA to handle cyber terrorists in much the same way as the Military Tribunals
handle real world terrorists?
http://www.vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=423&page=4

Now TYR Steve might add another notch to his cyber knife for me saying this,
but what I think is needed is something like a Grand Jury for Technological
Topics, that would be used by the Patent Office for reviewing applications,
and also available to judges in cyber crime & DNA & other cases.  So instead
of a Jury of RANDOM peers of the criminal & the victim & society, you have
like a Grand Jury in which the people are NOT selected on basis of randomness
but on basis of some higher standards.  This would alter the standards of
what needs to be explained, and what is considered to be reasonable.

I have seen multiple stories about this FBI "Magic Lantern" in which a virus
that gets onto a suspect's computer can capture all keystrokes & mouse wipes
to log what the suspect does, to help the FBI in their investigations.

I suspect that proper evaluation of these logs need to be run on something
that is a simulation of the hardware software operating system of the
suspect, or else the virus also needs to capture the feed into the monitor,
so that they can see the results of what the user is doing.  And whatever
they do, not mess up people using a different system, such as brail users.

They will also need software to analyse the images & what was keyed, so as to
highlight stuff that would be of interest to investigators, otherwise they
are going to be swamped in data.

Now assuming we are in agreement that the FBI needs tools for the computer
age, can we evaluate whether we can help the FBI get better tools that do not
compromise computer security from perspective of hackers figuring out how to
do the same kind of stuff?

For example, can the FBI get something added to memory chips or processors,
where the manufacturing process might assure that the only stuff there is the
manufacturer specifications plus the government requested addition?  That
might work, but only for future hardware, not what is already out there, let
alone in other nations.