Alistair,

Thanks for the post...!  See inline >>

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-nontech-admin@midrange.com
[mailto:midrange-nontech-admin@midrange.com]On Behalf Of Alistair Rooney
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 3:14 AM
To: midrange-nontech@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Work week

I'm glad to see that there are enlightened people like you out there,
jt.

>> Well...  "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut.. once in a while...!"
ROFLMAO...!

I sympathise with your problem of getting this, really quite
common-sense, message across to upper management.

>> I think I left a couple wrong impressions.

>> I told my boss that he's one of the top 3 that I've ever worked with (he
figures I was stroking him because we renegotiating our rates, that wasn't
the MAIN reason I said that).  He is in mid-level management, and is
squeezed between getting the job done right, and getting it done
cost-effectively (like many of us).  I've only dealt with upper-management
in this company a few times.  Some could probably understand, and some
probably never will...

>> Just to kick the idea in the head that I'm anywhere close to enlightened,
let me tell you HOW I came to these conclusions:

>> Unfortunately, I learned this about 5 years after I left management...
But better late than never...?!?

>> My current boss actually clued me.  Over a year ago, we were getting
ready to start a meeting with his boss, and some others, and he was stroking
me about how I got this one project done in only 3 weeks, and how his people
couldn't have done that.  I said, sure, they COULD have done that.  And he
chuckled and said "No.. they NEVER could have gotten that done in 3 weeks".
Well, I'm notorious for getting months behind in my billing, so he hadn't
seen the actual hours I put in.  (I did the work for one of his lieutenants,
and I doubt if he ever noticed the hours.)  I couldn't find the billing for
this time period (and work called with a problem...) but I remember pretty
clearly that I worked about 10 or 15 hours per week.  So my bosses statement
really put things in perspective for me.

>> And the ONLY way I found out that I can get MORE work done by spreading
the hours out, and working at 110% efficiency is that I was burned out after
an emergency Y2K project which was followed by 2 gruelling months of us
helping our former employer convert over to Eunuchs.  We were so burned out,
we could hardly work.  (My wife decided to go back to grad-school after she
took about 6 months off.)  Anyhoo, but NOT BEING ABLE to work very many
hours, I accidently discovered that I didn't need to.

>> So, I fell into this wisdom "by accident".  Problem is that few
businesses are forced into that kind of situation that I was, and in fact
many are facing the prospect of getting more work done with less people.  It
would take more than a little bit of a risk to try to get more done by
working less.  And it might not work for everyone...  I should say, probably
won't work out as well for everyone, as it has for us.

There's another book in the same vein by deMarco  called "slack".

>> Thanks for the tip..  I'll try to check it out, because I really like
deMarco's way of explaining things.

>> jjt

>> "Have a GREAT day...!  And a BETTER ONE TOMORROW~~~:=)" (sm)

Alistair