Dean,

I'm sorry I can only agree with you in part.

Your view shows why peace-loving peoples of the world must take up arms.  We
don't need permission to attack our enemies, but developing allies to help
us destroy terrorism is the only effective approach.

IMO, you underestimate the enemy.  Hundreds of loose-knit groups, across the
world, with the whole world to hide in.  With weaponry that only armies
possessed a few short years ago.  (Doesn't take much money to possess
weapons of mass destruction, any more.)  With the promise that if they die
for their cause, they go straight to heaven.  To me, they make the kamikazes
of WW II look like geisha girls.

This isn't the kind of thing where you can just cut the head off the snake.
The snake grows two more heads.  Martyrdom just emboldens these "people".

When I analyze the risks:  what if the military gets 98% of 'em...?

The peace-loving people need to run this war because Swift Justice, in my
view, is only going to backfire.

What we need is THOROUGH JUSTICE.  The military kicking the crap out of a
few countries may, or may not, do the job.  You want to take that risk...?!?

That begs the question of whether you want this war to go on for
generations?  Unless the underlying causes are addressed, and they CANNOT be
addressed militarily, and IMO, that's what you're looking at...
Generations...

I'm buying the half of the argument which says we need to have the stomach
to fight our own battles, and that very well might require ground troops.
But only because I'm afraid it may become necessary to destroy some
countries' capital.  So if that country doesn't want to join the civilized
world, they can run their government without the advantages civilization
offers.  To do this, without massive civilian casualites (which would just
embolden the kamikazes even more) might require ground troops.  IMO.

jt