Al,

Thanks, so much, for this article.  I believe it makes the same points I've
been saying.  I agree with all of it, except that there is any delemma.

Clearly, the only way to defeat the enemy, which is terrorism, is to build a
stronger center of gravity than they have.

Even my older Sister, who is more of a pacifist than I am, saw my point
about the need for military action.  But she saw the point because she also
saw that waging a conventional military operation will only serve to give
the enemy more martyrs.  This will only feed the network of terrorists.

She made the point, which I then read here, that what is ALSO required is
the cooperation of as many countries as possible providing
counter-intelligence, to track down these criminals.  She, too, thought at
first that World War III was only going to be nation against nation.  But
she quickly saw it is also a war of individual terrorists against nations.
One insane person, with one vial, can attack our water supply.

This is not at all hopeless.  As more and more nations come to realize that
THEY might be next, the will to cooperate against this terror MIGHT be
formed.

I think it's important to keep in mind, what others have already pointed
out:  Both of these kinds of military operations cannot be successful, even
in tandem.  It also requires much more than just a military solution.  This,
in my mind, is the key.

JMHO

jt